Sunday, May 29, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?


It's Monday! What are you reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date that is guaranteed to grow your TBR list!

It's Memorial Day, the day when amidst backyard barbecues and bonfires Americans remember those soldiers who lost their lives in service to this country. When I was a kid though, my father would take me to a little cemetery every year, the same cemetery, where we would pause and reflect in front of a group of graves of soldiers from foreign lands who somehow ended up buried here. My father has moved farther away now, but I still make sure to visit those graves every year. 

Read Last Week:


River Road by Carol Goodman: This was a tough read at first for me. I love Goodman, but this one lacked a little of the certain something that makes her books so special. Nevertheless, I did end up enjoying it, despite a rocky start.

The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum by Kristen Weiss; I picked this up at the library on a whim, and it wasn't that bad. Reviews on both coming soon.

Reading This Week:

  

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater: I am so so excited to read this!!

Watership Down by Richard Adams: My favorite book ever. I have been reading it a little bit at a time this season. I usually reread it every year all at once, this year I have been taking my time. It's always nice to revisit Hazel and the gang. 

Watching:

Game of Thrones which is cray cray this year, and just cleaning up the old DVR. 





10 comments:

  1. What a great tradition! That's awesome. Just went to a bonfire tonight and it was tricky timing with Game of Thrones lol. And yes cray cray is a good way to put it! Good grief that show...

    I kinda want to read Watership Down someday.

    Happy Memorial Day to you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know one day how these men ended up in our small area of the world. I will probably never know though.

      Lol - it is a tough call sometimes between going out and GoT! We always wait until the next day for some reason so it is hard to avoid spoilers. Which as you know sometimes I don't avoid. Lol.

      I love Watership Down! I guess I didn't need to say that. I toy with the idea of a readalong for it every year, but then always end up forgetting to set something up. Lol.

      I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. That is a nice Memorial Day tradition. I am curious about Watership Down. It must be good since you re-read it every year! Have a great week Erin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love it. :) I always toy with the idea of doing a readalong here on the blog. Maybe next year I will actually set one up!

      I hope you had a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I love that tradition. What a great way to remember what Memorial Day is really about. Enjoy your day and your reads this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice tradition to share with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make sure my son follows in the footsteps of this tradition too. Gone but not forgotten.

      Delete
  5. What a great man your dad is. I love that tradition. In a small suburb outside of San Francisco, there is a cemetery for those who were in the service. You just see miles of white tombstones. I would wonder so many things about them, like which was the oldest and how many are visited every year. I read Watership Down for high school; had a tough literature teacher. We had a final paper on it and I think the main question was something about what kind of society or government did the rabbits have. I forgot what I had guessed but it was supposedly wrong. I want to read The Raven Cycle series; I've heard rave reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that does make the mind wander. Hopefully they were not all in active service at the time of their passing, but lived long lives. Your area probably sees a lot of Navy and Marines?

      I can definitely see how that could be a question for your literature class! So many government systems are represented in the book, although the author has stated that was never his intention. to write anything political. I am not sure I believe him entirely, since I also read Plague Dogs which was incredibly sad and very political, in my opinion. Shaped my life, that book.

      The Raven Cycle is pretty awesome! My husband and I both read it ~ it is funny that we both had a different favorite character this time around. We usually like the same characters in books; this time however, we don't.

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.