Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Book Review: Riverbend Road by RaeAnne Thayne

Title: Riverbend Road (Haven Point)
Author: RaeAnne Thayne
Source: Little Bird Publishing in return for an honest review

Goodreads:

Protecting the streets of Haven Point isn't just a job for police officer Wyn Bailey, it's a family tradition. But lately she's found herself wanting more, especially from her boss—and overprotective brother's best friend—sexy chief of police, Cade Emmett. The only problem is getting Cade to view her as more than just a little sister. 

Cade's hands-off approach with Wyn isn't from lack of attraction. But his complicated past has forced him to conceal his desire. When Wyn is harmed in the line of duty, Cade realizes the depth of his feelings, but can he let his guard down long enough to embrace the love he secretly craves?

My thoughts:

So Haven Point is not perfect. It is a down on its luck little town that is slowly but surely coming back to life and thriving again. But that is what I like about it - it is like the little town that could. I love a comeback story and this series really is all about the comeback - sometimes for characters, sometimes it is the town, but there is always that sense of community and pulling together for the common good. I love that.

This story focuses on Wyn Bailey, a police woman for whom the job is not just a calling it is a tradition. She is dedicated, tough, trustworthy, with finely tuned instincts. But not without her demons. Our introduction to Wyn shows the reader her character immediately, by her reaction to two totally different police situations - a moose in the neighborhood, and a barn fire, with two children trapped inside. Wyn shows no hesitation about racing into the barn and saving these two boys in the nick of time, with no regard to her own safety - or protocol, much to the anger of her boss, Cade Emmett. Suspended for a week without pay by Cade, Wyn finds herself at loose ends, but not for long. A mysterious new neighbor has Wyn's radar up and she is determined to get to the bottom of things.

Cade himself presents another problem. Not only is he her boss the chief of police and the man who just suspended her, he is also a childhood friend. And the guy Wyn would most like to get to know a lot better, if you know what I mean. Cade might feel the same, but has his reservations and his own bag of secrets he is dragging around.

I really enjoyed this book - Cade and Wyn were both interesting characters, with a lot of complexity and grit. I love a smart, tough woman and Wyn is definitely both. I also enjoyed the unraveling of their pasts and the things that haunt them still. And if you enjoy books with sexytimes, this one doesn't disappoint, as the two have some serious chemistry.

Overall, I really enjoyed this latest book in the Haven Point series, and all the places that it takes the reader.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Hope's Crossing series but I didn't finish the first book in this series. It didn't hold my attention for some reason. I will have to try the others though. This sounds really good. I like her writing and the small town setting and families.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.