Thursday, March 6, 2014

Book Review: Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Title: Year of Wonders
Author: Geraldine Brooks
Source: Library, but I am buying a copy

Goodreads Summary:

When an infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated village, a housemaid named Anna Frith emerges as an unlikely heroine and healer. Through Anna's eyes we follow the story of the fateful year of 1666, as she and her fellow villagers confront the spread of disease and superstition. As death reaches into every household and villagers turn from prayers to murderous witch-hunting, Anna must find the strength to confront the disintegration of her community and the lure of illicit love. As she struggles to survive and grow, a year of catastrophe becomes instead annus mirabilis, a "year of wonders."

Inspired by the true story of Eyam, a village in the rugged hill country of England, Year of Wonders is a richly detailed evocation of a singular moment in history. Written with stunning emotional intelligence and introducing "an inspiring heroine" (The Wall Street Journal), Brooks blends love and learning, loss and renewal into a spellbinding and unforgettable read.



My Thoughts:



I loved this book. I know it sounds super weird to say you love a book that involves the plague, but I do. My Uncle Mike told me to read it a year ago; I finally got to it the other week, and I wish that I wouldn’t have waited as long as I did! This particular era in history is one I enjoy reading about.

Year of Wonders begins with the smell of rotting apples.  Anna, the main character, is so sick of the smell of apples; before, it was a good memory, making cider and pie, but later, after the plague, the smell was reminiscent of death. Apparently the plague smells like apples, which is a fact I will never forget.  
Anna Frith is a very young widow, being only 18, with two young sons in the time before the plague. Her husband had perished in a mining accident, leaving her with her flock of sheep and fond memories. Then one day, a dashing tailor named George Vicars sweeps into town, and knocks on Anna’s door, looking for a room to rent. He moves in, and Anna and her family become enamored with him.

The happiness doesn’t last however, as an infected bolt of cloth from London finds its way into George’s hands and onto the backs of many residents of Eyam. Even after George dies a victim of the bubonic plague, people still visit Anna’s cottage, wanting the dresses he sewed for them. It doesn’t take long for the illness to spread through the small, remote village.

This sickness is incomprehensible. There is no understanding of germs , or what causes something like the Black Death. As the more and more people fall prey to the plague, the citizens turn to the church and to the good vicar Mompellion and his wife, Elinor. Is God punishing them? Is God testing them? Vicar Mompellion sways the villagers to take an oath, to close the village borders and to remain isolated until the plague was gone, to prevent the spread of it. A nearby Earl agreed to deliver supplies to the village, so that they would not run out of important items.  But doubt still lingered as to why they suffered.  Superstition takes over, and some of the villagers come to their own conclusions, making a horrible situation worse and igniting near chaos. 

Just imagine living in a 17th century village, isolated from the rest of the world, while one by one your neighbors and friends drop dead from a disease you don’t understand. What would you do? How would you react? And why do some people survive, and how are some people immune?

The village of Eyam is real. Year of Wonders is based on the true account of what happened there in 1665. I did some more reading on the plague and on Eyam after I finished this book, and was amazed at some of the things I read, especially on plague survivors and genetics. You can find a few articles here and here that I found particularly interesting. 

I picked this book for my book club choice this month. I am excited to hear what everyone thinks about it!

14 comments:

  1. I wanted to read this last year and then forgot about it. It sounds like such an amazing and unsettling book. I bet it's a fantastic book club pick, too. I'm going to see if my library has a copy before I forget again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good!!!! Parts of it made me really sad, obviously, but it really did have a message of hope. :)

      Delete
  2. I read this last summer and also loved it Yes, it's definitely odd to find this heartbreaking book about the plague fascinating, but that's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love it when you come across a book that you love so much you have to buy a physical copy? I know I do...
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book -- and I agree, it sounds weird saying I love a book about the plague! I thought the writing was fantastic, I loved the characters, and really just everything about it. Have you read other books by this author? I really loved March and People of the Book as well. Great review!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! :) The writing is amazing, and I agree, I really just loved everything about this book too. I have not read anything else by her, but it is definitely going to happen. I am just not sure where to begin!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, I hadn't heard of this. As a child I was fascinated by the stories of Eyam and I've visited the village a couple of times. Your review and the glowing praise in the comments above make me certain I need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! We are planning a trip to England next year, and I want to add Eyam to my list of things to do there. Hopefully everyone else will want to go too. This book was amazing; I really loved it!

      Delete
  6. All I remember about this book is that it's the one I took on my honeymoon to Hawaii. Don't ask me what I was thinking! I love Geraldine Brooks so I would probably have loved this one under different circumstances. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I can't imagine reading this on my honeymoon in Hawaii; I agree, maybe that influenced your opinion of it. :) I really have to be in the right mood, and the season has to be right for a book as well, even though that seems weird to say. :)

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this book when I read it years ago and found it fascinating. I disliked the twist that comes late in the book, where something surprising is revealed about one of the main characters, and the way Brooks ended Anna's story did not seem as historically plausible as the rest of the book. But mostly the twist bothered me. In any case, it was still overall a good book - and the stuff about the genetics and the plague was really interesting, so thanks for those links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo that twist!!! I kind of thought things were weird there, so I wasn't too too surprised. The ending did seem a little far-reaching, but maybe it is plausible? That would take some research I think. Lol. Maybe that was thrown in there due to the crusades? I am going to have to look into the feasibility!

      I am glad you enjoyed the links about genetics and the plague! I thought it was pretty interesting as well!

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.