Sunday, September 29, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


It's Monday What Are You Reading is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, where we share what we are reading and see what others are reading as well.

Read Last Week:

I got derailed from my plan last week! Our huge book order for work came in, about 8 of my own library holds came in, and my Amazon pre-orders came in - Doctor Sleep, Dream Thieves, and Winds of Salem. I was overwhelmed by the amount of books at my disposal and couldn't make a choice. I ended up reading:

  

Deep and Dark and Dangerous by Mary Downing Hahn: Our kids at work love scary books and Mary Downing Hahn. We just got this in, and I read it to scope out the creep factor. I will be showing this book to the kids who ask me for "the scariest book in the library".

Sold Down the River by Barbara Hambly: I love the Benjamin January series. I have read it many times. So powerful and I learned so much about this horrific time period in New Orleans. This series is a fiction story about a freeman named Benjamin January, who is a doctor and a musician.

Reading This Week:

I narrowed down the choices by what I absolutely had to read first. This was not easy, but I did it. 

  

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt: Another favorite book of mine - so much so that I picked it for my book club to read. We meet on Thursday.

The Heavens Rise by Christopher Rice: I am reading this via NetGalley. It archives the 15th of October, so I felt I should get to this way before then.

Reviews and Posts:

I was a busy little blogger last week! I posted the following posts:







11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review of The Bookstore and hope to read it someday soon.

    It does seem to happen quite often that books on hold arrive at the same time! I had some e-books on hold that arrived for me this past week and I kind of read them instead of reading some of the books on my list. This week I am trying to be more flexible.

    I have heard that Mary Downing Hahn's books are creepy. It sounds like a good pick for Halloween. I've never read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil though I have visited Savannah and seen the house. The stature isn't there anymore because of tourists so I missed seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like that, doesn't it? I decided to prioritize the few that need read, and the its every book for itself. :)

      They really are creepy sometimes, especially for a kid's book. This one I read while I was home alone, and I kept looking over my shoulder. Lol. I didn't get to see the statue either when I visited. :( I think it was moved to Bonaventure Cemetery while I was there. The book is full of eccentric people - I can see why this book is controversial though - there are a lot of racist slurs. :(

      I am glad you enjoyed my review! :)

      Delete
  2. You were a busy little blogger indeed! Love all the spooky books you have going on, ooooh! :D It's that time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm envious of how much you read! I love the cover for Sold Down the River, there seems to be a mini trend of making the cover like a collage and it's an interesting concept. Hope you're able to get to the other books soon, 8 library books is a lot just in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I might lighten my load by returning some of the library books, and checking them out again at a later date. :)

      Delete
  4. Seems like you are into a Southern gothic theme right now :) Thanks for introducing me to some new titles I might not have found on my own. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right! I hadn't noticed that, lol! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I am so in a horror mood of late! I'd hoped to spend my whole weekend reading DOCTOR SLEEP but had to wait until Sunday to start. It's so freaking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review of The Bookstore. I like the idea of a 24 hour bookstore LOL, especially a quirky one like that. What a great place to hang out that would be. Liked the Green field Village post too. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about having too many good choices. I just filled out my calendars for October and November and still have lots of books I won't be able to fit in. Come see what I read last week here. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.