Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sweet Valley Confidential - Review

Title: Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later
Author: Francine Pascal
Source: Library

Goodreads Summary:

Now with this striking new adult novel from author and creator Francine Pascal, millions of devoted fans can finally return to the idyllic Sweet Valley, home of the phenomenally successful book series and franchise. Iconic and beloved identical twins Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield are back and all grown up, dealing with the complicated adult world of love, careers, betrayal, and sisterhood. 






My thoughts:

This book will never win any awards. But it is definitely a fun way to spend a few hours laying on your bed  reading lazily and indulgently.

This book was pure camp. I saw it on the shelves of the library and snatched it up. I couldn't wait to read it. I had to laugh at myself, it made me think of when I was in middle school and acted the same way over the Sweet Valley High books, my introduction to the twins. I feel as a preteen I learned so much from Elizabeth and Jessica.  I learned that if you snort coke and have a heart murmur, you could die instantly and that you could die of TSS from leaving a tampon in too long. Not that I ever would have thought about trying cocaine! I had too much Elizabeth in me for that kind of rebellion, although I was like Jessica as well.  I wanted to be Lila Fowler though, and date Bruce, with his sports car and vanity license plate that said 1Bruce1.

Sweet Valley Confidential revisits these moments and characters. This time though, the twins are older, in their late twenties, and finding their way in the world. Elizabeth works in New York as an entertainment journalist, drinks, has casual sex, and swears. It was like a whole new Elizabeth! But deep down she still had the same moral code as always. Jessica lives in Sweet Valley still, has a fiancee, and works at a cosmetics company. Most importantly, Elizabeth and Jessica have not spoken for 8 long months.  You learn through a series of flashbacks (that get a little old honestly, especially when Jessica lapses into Valley Girl speak) what caused this rift that may never be reconciled. Or will it?

Like I said, this book will never be considered anything more than it is, a fun piece of fluff. As long as a book is entertaining and enjoyable, it is enough for me sometimes. And this book was not only entertaining, it was a welcome trip down memory lane.

2 comments:

  1. As much as I hate to admit this....I want to read this book....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I understand the feeling! ;) I debated whether or not to even mention on here that I had read it!

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.