Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Shorty Book Reviews

The Fate of Mercy Alban by Wendy Webb

Let's start with you Mercy Alban. I read you under perfect conditions - slighty overcast, rainy, yet greening from the spring.  The stage was set. The book itself was very creepy! I read most of it in my bed before sleeping and sometimes freaked myself out.  The Fate of Mercy Alban has the classic lines of a Gothic - old crumbly house with a checkered past and murky mysterious history, a white lady, and hidden tunnels. Oh yeah. But then, we found out more of what was going on, and it fell flat. Sad.  Also, I wasn't buying the romance either. I kept waiting for the love interest to do something, like try to kill her or what have you, but nope, he was just a love interest.  If I were the type of girl to give stars, I would give this one 3 out of 5 stars. It gets 3 rather than 2 because it scared me.




Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews

This one I adored. I love the south, food, cooking shows, and English Setters. This book had it all. Cute and fun, perfect for summer.  For why I love English Setters check out the page Penny and the Cats on my blog.










The Sassy Belles by Beth Albright

So, I didn't have super high expectations of this book, but I did expect it to be entertaining. Unfortunately, it missed the mark for me. I just wanted something fluffy and fun, but this book was just uncomfortable. The characters weren't honest or endearing, although one part where the women were gathered around the main character in solidarity almost got there. But it is hard to feel sorry for a character that is cheated on when they had already started down the same path. The only thing I liked about this book was the cover.








I borrowed the idea of  doing short little reviews sometimes from Jennifer at The Relentless Reader. Other people may do them as well, but I saw them there first.











4 comments:

  1. I *think* I've read that Wendy Webb. She has two books out now I believe? I'm going to have to look it up and see if this is the one I already read ;) Sigh, my memory is garbage ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am forgetful too - but I prefer to call myself absent minded. Lol. And don't blame yourself if you can't remember this one, it is not very memorable. :(

      Delete
  2. Oh no, you had me so excited with The Fate of Mercy Alban - it has such a good cover, too! Sad when books are a bummer like that, especially when they're so promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad - I had high hopes! It was a big bummer. :(

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.