Sunday, April 10, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


  

It's Monday! What Are You Reading is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date 

Whew this week was a rough one. Just everything was fight to get through for some reason. I am hoping this week goes easier! Maybe it is just the weather making things feel this way - where the heck is spring? "O wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?" All I can say is, we had thunder sleet the other day. 

We did get to babysit my adorable niece last week - she and W. played so nicely together! It was a fun little cousin play date. The first of many. Usually they just kind of ignore each other, or pull each other's hair, etc. but this time was more of a mutual interest and playtime.

In church last week, our pastor asked us to think about our calling - she said this can be anything, it doesn't need to be a huge calling, but something we feel that we need to do. Then I started the Happiness of Pursuit book, and that is all about personal quests - what makes a quest, stories of people's quests - so far it is a pretty interesting book. It has definitely given me a lot to think about! 

Read Last Week:

  

Death of a Nurse by M.C. Beaton: It was a nice week to return to Hamish and his beloved Lochdubh. This was a fun quick read.

Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid: I finally finished this! I was almost done a few weeks ago but then never actually finished it. I took care of that this week. 

Reading This Week:

Trying to knock out some of my NetGalley books this week!

  

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler: I am curious about this one - I always liked The Taming of the Shrew!

Once a Rancher by Linda Lael Miller: I didn't get to this a few weeks ago- I want to try to wrap up these books. I'm feeling bad!

Slow Read with Husband:


The Happiness of Pursuit : Our little own book club book. Billy is also listening to the Mistborn series, and says it is awesome!


Watching:

TWD!!! What the heck finale!!!! I think I know who it is though... :(

Outsiders, The Originals, Vampire Diaries, iZombie

For class this week, we had to watch Engineering an Empire: Egypt from the History Channel. It was really long but pretty fascinating!!

Here is the link for anyone interested in watching it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=EjTmG1H4_Io




20 comments:

  1. This week has been terrible, at least weather wise. SO tired of all this snow/sleet/rain whatever. And TWD- argh! That final. So who is it?? Ha ha just kidding. I have no idea...

    That Egypt show sounds interesting. I always like that stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going crazy with this weather. I am so so ready to just be able to go outside and have fun with Wyatt.

      I have a theory about who it is in TWD - I don't know if I am right. Lol. It's been a bit of discussion over here.

      It was pretty interesting! It is a whole series, with different cities and countries. We just had to watch Egypt, which was fascinating.

      Delete
  2. It must be fun to have a family book club! Sometimes (rarely) my son & I read the same book and talk about it (the new memoir by Dylan Klebold's mother last month for instance). My hubs and younger daughter-- no pleasure reading, ugh! But after a lifetime of only reading nonfiction, I've gotten my son to read a few fiction titles in the past couple of years. He read Under the Dome, two John Grishams, The Martian, and now reading 11/22/63. Currently he is trying to get me interested in his nonfiction books. Maybe I'll give one a try and might be surprised and enjoy it. I do like an occasional nonfiction but his are not ones even remotely on my radar.

    Our weather has been moody, going from very warm to gloomy and misty just this month. I can't blame the weather though, no snow here. I love archaeology/anthropology/sociology lol, all the -ologies! I would like that Egyptian show, will look for it. Our family watches shows like that together anyway.

    As far as your calling as you stated above, you help kids find and enjoy books, you are a great mom, and you help out animals :)'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having fun with these books! We try to do non-fiction for these reads. We often read the same fiction books, but not necessarily at the same time or even in the same year, so this is different. I really want to read that book by Dylan Klebold's mom, although I am sure I will sob. Hulu just had a mini-series of 11/22/63 - it was really well done!

      I love my archaeology class - I'm with you, I love all these 'ologies. I don't know if you listen to podcasts, but I just started doing it. It is easy to have them on during the day and they are generally short. They have whole categories of shows devoted to the 'ologies. :)

      Thanks Rita!! It just keeps popping up for me lately - it is definitely something I ruminating over. Lol.

      Delete
    2. Oh and here is the link to the Egyptian show! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=EjTmG1H4_Io

      Delete
  3. I am so ready for spring! We had snow here yesterday. Yuck :( I hope you have a better week this week.

    I've got Vinegar Girl on my TBR pile too. I'm looking forward to seeing how she adapts Taming of the Shrew for modern day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did too! Come on warm weather!

      I am pretty excited to start Vinegar Girl!

      Delete
  4. We had a few moments of flurries here in VA the other day. I was surprised. I am curious about "The Happiness Pursuit". Even though I am retired, I still wonder about my 'calling.' Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It is interesting! The book is pretty cool so far, although I do feel it has a few negatives.

      This weather is nutso!

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize Vinegar Girl was part of the Hobarth Shakespeare series. Adding it to my TBR now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that! Thank you for bringing it up, I am excited to look into it more.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know Anne Tyler has a new book coming out... will be curious to hear what you think. Fingers crossed for a more spring-like week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fingers crossed!! It is a wildlife wonderland out my window right now - I think the neighborhood fauna is a bit bewildered by this weather as well!

      Delete
  7. I wonder if anyone is having good weather in the Northern Hemisphere. Spring is slow in making an appearance where I live too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather stinks. :( I like winter but this has gone on long enough! Lol.

      Delete
  8. Last week felt like an extraordinary long week here too - I can't pinpoint exactly why though. I'm hope for better things this week though!

    Ah - it's always lovely watching little ones play with relatives. My son and my nephew are 2 and a half years apart in age, but they still play together so nicely. It's interesting seeing how the dynamics change as they grow.

    I hope you're able to work through some of your Netgalley books this week. Happy reading!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so close with my cousins, it is nice that my son has my niece, and how awesome for your son and nephew as well. 2 years seems like it would be an almost perfect age difference. :)

      The sun is out this morning - hopefully this is a good sign for the week!

      Delete
  9. I'd like to try out that cozy mystery! Sorry your week was a rough one. Hope this one is warmer and easy going. Glad Wyatt had a fun playdate with his cousin. I grew up with mine although things are different now. My girls see theirs/my brother's kids once a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up close with my cousins ~ the two that I am closest with are both only children, and we were always together as kids. It is nice to have that, and I am glad Wyatt will have that with my niece. My other cousins we saw less frequently, maybe just a few times a year, but we are still very close with them. :) So sometimes it is not about how often but the quality of the time spent. :)

      The sun is shining today!

      Delete
  10. Death of A Nurse and Vinegar Girl look good.

    I hope they are enjoyable.

    Have a good week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.