Monday, October 28, 2013

A Chilly Fort Wayne Morning

 

 

 

 


I had an opportunity to visit Fort Wayne, and I was super excited. For me, this was a big deal. I would drive down Jefferson by the now defunct base on my way to the city, nestled in a neighborhood of abandoned houses and truck yards. A fort that has been around since about 1860, and here it still stands, far longer than the more recently built homes around it. You can see a few barrack buildings from the road, and the rest is lost to view.  Great iron fences surround the grounds, and I always wanted to go behind the gates and see these buildings up close. It has personal meaning to me as well - when my father shipped off with the Marines to boot camp during the Vietnam War, he left from here.  I could just picture my young idealist father standing in the gym, waiting to leave his family and his home, anxious and nervous but wanting to serve his country.


The day we went it was raining, and I didn't want to take my actual camera. So it was iPhone to the rescue once again.



View from the hill overlooking the old barracks. I feel like this looks like it could be England!



My friend Hippy walking through the tunnel







The armory











The back of the old barrack. 

The fort now hosts many different events, including war reenactments and ghost hunts led by Metro Paranormal Investigations. This sounds terrifying, but I might just have to do it.  Restoration work has also been happening on the grounds, which is evident by the differences between a few of the buildings. Some are fallen in like the ones you see pictured here, while others are fully restored, and either open to visitors or being used as offices by those who work at the fort.

For more information, visit Fort Wayne's website. Or better yet, visit the fort itself! It is an amazing place to visit, and you will be glad you did. 

**originally posted on Detroit Magpie
*all content and photos property of me

2 comments:

  1. Very eerie, but very picturesque at the same time. It does a look a bit like it could be in England, a huge old house. I love the way you took the photos, and the filter. It adds to the spookiness!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.