Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Few Quickies of Books I was Ho-Hum About

Omens by Kelley Armstrong

I love this author's previous works; this book was a slight departure from her norm and I think it was well done. I don't feel like I am quite "hooked" yet, I feel it was really a big setup for the rest of the series. I still enjoyed the premise and I am curious as to what will happen next, and where this story is going. It has definite promise, but I don't have a solid opinion on it yet.









The Night is Forever by Heather Graham

Another entertaining installment in the Krewe of Hunters series. This supernatural mystery takes place at a horse ranch in Tennessee. The ranch is used for anyone with troubles to visit and receive therapy, with psychiatrists and animal therapy. The best part is that the animals themselves are rescued - the various horses, dogs and cats have all come from desperate situations as well, and now are safe. This totally appealed to my animal rescue nature. The plot itself was ok - this one didn't interest me as much as others. Something about it just didn't work as well, although I still found it enjoyable.






Vampires in the Lemon Grove by Karen Russell

This book of short stories was highly imaginative - sometimes I even wondered what the author was tripping on while she was writing it. Horses that are reincarnations of former presidents, for instance? The title story was a sad commentary on love and mortality and obsession, a sad old vampire that is the furthest thing from the sparkly young vampires of today. I enjoyed that story, although it was depressing, and also a story about young girls enslaved in a silk factory, who slowly transform into silkworms themselves. It was truly horrific, like a blend of Kafka and Lovecraft, and freaked me out. Some of the stories were hit and miss for me, but there were a few I enjoyed, and the silkworm story was definitely my favorite.



















1 comment:

  1. Did you know that you can shorten your long links with LinkShrink and earn cash from every click on your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.