Friday, September 19, 2014

Book Review: The Edge of You by Theresa DaLayne

Title: The Edge of You
Author: Theresa DaLayne
Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Summary:

Maya knows she’s doing the right thing by moving to Alaska with her parents, but that doesn’t mean she has to be happy about it. Forced to give up a scholarship to a prestigious art school, she relocates to a Podunk town with one college the size of her high school cafeteria, all to help hold her family together after the death of her little sister. But a fresh start can only do so much.

Jake doesn’t like handouts and he certainly doesn’t need any distractions. Working on a salmon boat in Kodiak, Alaska is the only way to pay for his mother’s surgery back in the lower forty-eight. Juggling college courses and constant worry about his mother’s health, Jake couldn’t imagine anything else fitting into his life. That is, until he meets Maya, the sexy Californian artist who tints his world in technicolor.

But when Maya’s family starts to crumble and Jake’s mom takes a turn for the worse, will they drag each other down, or can they find what they were missing all along?

In this new adult romance, Theresa DaLayne paints a swoon-worthy story about life under the midnight sun, following your heart, and learning to live on the edge.


My thoughts:

I read this book back when I was going through my weird I-can't-read-anything business. This book was the perfect antidote! I was sucked right into the world of Maya and Jake, two young people with adult sized problems.

These two were dealing with some heavy issues - domestic abuse, depression, the death of a family member, alcoholism, yet were still trying to find time for themselves in the midst of their family trials. This book was lighthearted when it needed to be to keep it from being a super downer, yet retained the right amount of gravity as well. I think this book is one that could be used as part of bibliotherapy with older kids, to get them talking about things they might be going through. It does have teenage sexuality in it, just as an FYI, which doesn't bother me, but I thought I would throw it out there for anyone who wanted to know.

The setting was amazing as well. I love the thought of Alaska, so pristine and wild. I am not sure I would want to live there (bears!) but I love reading about it, and this book gave me some different views of life in Alaska.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I found it entertaining and it helped me break through my reading slump, always a positive!



2 comments:

  1. I don't usually read YA romance, but I do love this Alaska setting, and that the author is from there so she knows what she is writing about. Also, it is not a fluff piece with all those heavy family dynamics in it. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked that the author was from there as well! It had its fluffy bits, but I think that was needed, especially for a YA book dealing with some big issues. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.