Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Book Review: Night of Cake and Puppets

Title: Night of Cake and Puppets
Author: Laini Taylor
Source: Amazon

Goodreads Summary:

In Night of Cake & Puppets, Taylor brings to life a night only hinted at in the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy—the magical first date of fan-favorites Zuzana and Mik. Told in alternating perspectives, it’s the perfect love story for fans of the series and new readers alike. Petite though she may be, Zuzana is not known for timidity. Her best friend, Karou, calls her “rabid fairy,” her “voodoo eyes” are said to freeze blood, and even her older brother fears her wrath. But when it comes to the simple matter of talking to Mik, or “Violin Boy,” her courage deserts her. Now, enough is enough. Zuzana is determined to meet him, and she has a fistful of magic and a plan. It’s a wonderfully elaborate treasure hunt of a plan that will take Mik all over Prague on a cold winter’s night before finally leading him to the treasure: herself! Violin Boy’s not going to know what hit him.


My Thoughts:

For a short book, this sure packs a punch of wonder and magical moments that made me sigh.This book is the story of Zuzana and Mik. It is a story of wonder and first love in a snowstorm, of magic, of treasure hunts, a night of cake, and puppets, and violin music  in the dark and snowy night. Of first kisses.

Violin Boy has no idea what is in store for him,one snowy evening. The rabid fairy has set her sights (and scuppies) on him, and is ready to make her feelings known. In true Zuzana style of course, fully orchestrated into a very charmed evening, in more ways than one. It all begins with a map with a prize, slipped secretly into a violin case, and continues with a surprise at every stop, culminating into one of the most enchanting first date stories. Complete with cake, kisses and peacock footprints.

I really loved this short little story. A few quotes that I particularly liked:

"People might try to pat me. I see them think it. My height triggers the puppy-kitten reflex - Must touch - and I've found that since you can't electrify yourself like a fence, the next best thing is to have a murderer's eyes." 

"I have scuppies in my pocket and lust in my heart."

"You almost hold up your piece of paper and say 'The girl I like just gave me a treasure map to herself.' "

"I want to warm my face against he neck and steam her up like a mirror and write my name on her with my fingertip."

If you are a fan of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, you might like this short novella that is a small part of the series. It is definitely a love story though, so be prepared. It was a nice break from fighting and monsters, and I love Zuzana so to me it was perfect, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. But if you are a romantic at heart, this book is definitely for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.