Friday, June 21, 2013

Favorite Opening Lines from a Classic Novel



What is your favorite opening sentence from a classic novel and why?

This is my very first time participating in anything for the Classics Club, and I am getting it done just under the wire!  This question made me think, which is a good thing. Lol. I know my favorite closing line like that *snap* but opening? It took me just a little longer.



1.  In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. - J.R.R. Tolkein

2.  All children, except one, grow up. - J.M. Barrie




I apparently have an affinity for authors with J as their first initial, and for those who only go by their initials and last name. J.D. Salinger just missed this list.

 As to why I chose these two quotes, the answer is their simplicity leads to questions and curiosity and wonder and magic.  So simple, just a few words, but opening whole new worlds.


1 comment:

  1. Those are both good ones :) I love me some Salinger so that would have been great too. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.