Saturday, June 23, 2012

June Book Club - Invisible Monsters





Hostess: Alyssa

Book: Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Food: Jalapeno Baked Salmon, Homemade Macaroni and Cheese with Jalapenos, Bread, little Cheescakes
Wine of the Night: Sutter Home Bubbly Pink Moscato
Month: June  



Ok, yes, our favorite wine of the night was low priced bubbly pink moscato.  But it was served in chilled wine glasses and seemed the perfect drink for the night, as we discussed Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.  Alyssa chose this book to celebrate her engagement; she met her husband-to-be while she worked at a local bookstore, and she waited on him.  So, they have a love of Chuck Palahniuk to thank for their relationship.  I believe that a shared interest in reading and certain authors is pretty important to a relationship too.     

This book took me a while to get into.  The beginning was so tedious for me; I really wasn't interested in it until about halfway through.  Then I couldn't get enough, and my mind was blown by many of the revelations.  Jill couldn't get through it at all, and Chrissy loved it from the start.  While not Alyssa's favorite, it was one she really likes.  I think the end of the book, where you learn that she was the one who shot herself in the face, causing irreparable damage and a whole lifestyle change.  No longer was she the beautiful model, now she was missing her whole lower jaw.  You learn at the end that she did this thing to herself because she was just plain tired of bearing the responsibility of being beautiful.   The book was fascinating - so many things overlapped and made sense at the end, about her brother, her boyfriend, and herself. 


Of course at some point the conversation digressed into other topics, but everyone stayed far later than they usually do.  Could it be that this was our first summer book club?  Or was it the bubbly pink Moscato?


Next book club is mine, and I chose Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.