Sunday, June 24, 2012

Deadlocked - Review

Title: Deadlocked
Author: Charlaine Harris
Source: Barnes and Noble

Goodreads Summary:

With Felipe de Castro, the Vampire King of Louisiana (and Arkansas and Nevada), in town, it’s the worst possible time for a body to show up in Eric Northman’s front yard—especially the body of a woman whose blood he just drank.
Now, it’s up to Sookie and Bill, the official Area Five investigator, to solve the murder. Sookie thinks that, at least this time, the dead girl’s fate has nothing to do with her. But she is wrong. She has an enemy, one far more devious than she would ever suspect, who’s out to make Sookie’s world come crashing down.





My thoughts:

I agree these books are getting a little old and drawn out.  Kind of like the Stephanie Plum series.  But, I find there is something comforting and easy about reading them.  Like an entertaining commercial for your brain, a palette cleanser of sorts.   Unfortunately, although like slipping into an old pair of jeans, this is just ho hum  and didn't really make you feel that good.  

This book had more of the same stuff - Sookie just trying to deal with the supernaturals around her, while living her normal Louisiana life.  The supernaturals are the usual suspects - vampires, werewolves, fairies.  This time Eric is accused of murder and the police are investigating the death of a young woman who died in his front yard.  Sookie and Bill are on the case, to figure out what happened.  I thought the mystery was actually pretty interesting, and I didn't figure it out before the reader is supposed to.  However, it is Sookie's relationships with everyone that gets on my nerves.  

Her brother is all happy-wappy and getting married; this bothers me because I like stupid, shallow Jason for some reason.  I didn't expect him to make such a big change.  Alcide was my favorite for a while, and I always rooted for him and Sookie to get together, but Harris has made him into a really annoying character. Sam is clueless and they almost make fun of his living in a trailer in this book, Tara is having babies, Bill is still mooning over Sookie, and Eric seems ambivalent to Sookie.  Pam is the only character who still seems like herself.  I do think characters need to grow and change (example: Stephanie Plum has NOT grown) but I don't really like the direction Harris went.  These characters seem like watered down versions of themselves.  

I kind of liked the end.  It seemed Harris was cleaning house.  It also is apparent that she is setting Sookie up for a romance with Sam.  I am hoping the next book is the last in the series; and I know I will read it, if just for closure on this series.  I hate when things  end without conclusions.  

So, if you can walk away now from Sookie, I would say walk away.  If you can't, and have to read them, like me, don't expect too much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.