Thursday, February 4, 2016

Coloring Book Review: Whatever is Lovely

Title: Whatever is Lovely - A coloring book for reflection and worship
Source: Blogging for Books

Since the trend of adult coloring books became popular, I have wanted one. I loved coloring when I was a little girl. My mom said I would happily sit and color for hours and hours when I was a kid, and I wondered if it would hold the same magic for me now.

One thing I am short on is time these days. Between taking care of W. and all the other myriad things that make up my day, by the end of the night I am burnt. Tired. Exhausted. I usually flop on the couch in my most comfortable jams and veg away to television. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that too. But a few times this week I also colored while the television was on, and I found on those nights, I slept better. Easier. I usually fall out pretty quickly, but wake up a lot too. I figure I will do this forever now, wanting to check on the boy, but I did feel more at peace than I had for a while.

I loved the illustrations and quotations on every page of this book. The quotations themselves are from the bible, or from inspirational writers and bloggers, and even hymns. I am not super familiar with bible verses so I am learning as I flip through and color too. The reverse side of every coloring page is the bible verse or quotation in its entirety, along with the credited author or source.  I used the nifty Crayola twistable crayons that my husband put in my stocking this Christmas, and I liked those too!


My first colored page. I chose this one because this is something I try to remind myself every day. W. has some complications due to his prematurity, and I spend a lot of time worrying about the little guy. I need to really focus on today, and try not to worry about the future.


I am doing this one next, because I like rabbits and forests. Lol. The quote itself is from a favorite hymn of fisherman from northern England around 1880, and is based on Psam 32:7. 


Something we all need to remember, this is from blogger Emily P. Freeman, at EmilyPFreeman.com. She also has written a book entitled Simply Tuesday, which I have not read but may soon be reading.

Once you color a page, if you are so inspired you can link up to the instagram for this coloring book using the specific hashtag #whateverislovely (also good for Twitter, Facebook, etc). Another cool feature - this coloring book has a link to a playlist on Spotify. I am loving the social media incorporation, social media nerd that I am.

Overall, I love this coloring book! I didn't quite feel like I did when I was a kid, but I did feel like I could sit and color for hours if I could have. The illustrations and quotes were definitely peaceful and reminded me to be mindful, and to slow down - not everything is a race to the end of the day. I definitely recommend this coloring book to anyone who is wanting to give this new hobby a go, or to anyone who is already enjoying this popular new trend.


7 comments:

  1. I will have to look for this one though I really don't need any more coloring books at the moment! I am glad it is helping you to sleep better. I have been trying to color a little bit in the evenings too but sometimes it is more relaxing to just turn on the TV and look at Pinterest on my phone or read on my Kindle (without the TV on). I keep my coloring book close at hand though. I've also got a Sudoku book and a crossword puzzle book but I like the coloring book more. This one looks really nice and I like that it includes Bible verses and inspirational quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely nothing wrong with just watching tv or reading. I do that too. Sometimes, you have to just veg out. :) And Pinterest is a serious addiction for me! Lol.

      I will have to look for that coloring book! I love the idea that it also has bookmarks that you can color, I love it. I am not the best at crafting, and coloring seems to be able to easily fit that spot for me - I can color and relax. :)

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention that I have my eye on another coloring book called Today is Going to Be a Great Day which is similar. In addition to coloring pages with Bible verses and inspiring quotes it also has bookmarks you can color. I haven't bought it yet but someone showed me a copy of theirs and it looked pretty nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've totally gotten sucked into adult coloring! I found one that's where patterns make up animals and it's so much fun! My kid's and I now have coloring contests and it's a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a really great colouring book - I can see why you like it.

    I'm very much someone who has fallen in to the 'trend' of adult colouring books. I hope to complete at least one full colouring book this year because since I started colouring as a relaxation method I've acquired three colouring books but am all over the place with all three of them. Haha!

    Reading With Jade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that it has Bible verses! I've wanted to jump on the adult coloring bandwagon, but I didn't know which one to choose and didn't really feel that I had enough time. But this one definitely sounds worth the investment of both money and time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also coloring on occasion, as I got hooked last year as something to do while watching tv so I don't snack as much, ha!
    I love your choice of book! I know last time I was in Barnes & Noble they had a nice selection and I found one with various flowers & birds. I use colored pencils but twisty crayons sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.