Friday, October 23, 2015

A Trip to the Orchard

 Is visiting the orchard in the fall a midwest thing? Or is it done all over the U.S.? Whatever the answer, it is a yearly tradition that I love. One of my favorite times of the year, autumn is so beautiful, and going to the orchard is a great way to spend a fall afternoon.

This was our first year going with a little one in tow! Wyatt is still a bit young to appreciate it, but I think he still had fun, although I think he was a bit bewildered by the whole experience. He was taking it all in, wide-eyed with wonderment it seemed the whole time we were there. 


The hay certainly threw him for a loop!!



We went to Bennett's Orchard in Ottawa Lake, MI. We have been on the lookout for a non-gimmicky, simple orchard for a while, and we found this place last year. It is not very big, and has the apple orchard, produce including the all-important pumpkins and apples, doughnuts, cider, and a few other things for sale. And that is about it! It is quaint and quiet, not overrun with too many people or games or bounce houses or karaoke or whatever else some places do these days. It is just good plain old-fashioned fun.

Last year they added hard cider to their line of products, and this year they had a few more to try. Billy and I of course had to try them! I love hard cider and only drink it in the fall, and Bennett's is doing a great job with their versions. They have three varieties, the Dust Bowl, Crisp Apple Crisp, and Broken Barrel. We ended up buying a bottle of the Broken Barrel and a pint of the Dust Bowl, which I compared to champagne, but a cidery champagne. Lol. 




The prices were fair - and the pears delicious! 

  
We took a ton of photos - I am a bit of a shutterbug and am blessed with a baby who doesn't mind posing - for now! We will see how he likes it in a few months!






Please do not use photos without my permission. Thanks! :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh-- look at those eyes! He could be a baby model, lol. So cute! Glad you had a fun day. No apple picking is also very big in the Northeast, where I grew up and also lived again a couple of years ago. I've gone apple picking in upstate NY and on coastal Maine. It's always a wonderful experience and the cider never tasted any fresher than when they give you a small ice-cold sample at the stand! Nice photos and nice day for you. I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks!! He does have huge, beautiful eyes. :) And seriously long eyelashes. Lol.

      I always wondered! It makes sense that the northeast in particular also has this tradition. :) And yes - the cold samples of cider really are the best! - Next up for us is carving pumpkins! I don't think we are going to let Wyatt use a knife for a few years though. ;)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great orchard. We love going too, and loading up on coder and donuts. Something about the crisp air and the pumpkins all over- just a lot of fun, Makes you feel like you're in tune with the season. I have a tendency to only drink cider in the fall too- guess it's like a seasonal treat. :)

    And nice pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your baby is a cutie-patootie. You captured some great moments in this orchard visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the hat! I don't know if visiting the orchard is a Midwest thing or not, but I know we do it every year! Freshly baked cider donuts are the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.