Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Night is Alive - Review

Title: The Night is Alive (Krewe of Hunters series)
Author: Heather Graham
Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Summary:

MIDNIGHT IN SAVANNAH

It's a city of beauty, history& hauntings. And one of the most haunted places in Savannah is a tavern called The Dragonslayer, built in the 1750s. The current owner, Gus Anderson, is a descendant of the original innkeeper and his pirate brother, Blue.

Gus summons his granddaughter, Abigail, home from Virginia, where she's studying at the FBI Academy. When she arrives, she's devastated to find him dead. Murdered. But Abby soon learns that Gus isn't the only one to meet a brutal and untimely end; there have been at least two other victims. Then Captain Blue Anderson starts making ghostly appearances, and the FBI's paranormal investigation unit, the Krewe of Hunters, sends in Agent Malachi Gordon. 

Abby and Malachi have a similar ability to connect with the dead;and a similar stubbornness. Sparks immediately begin to fly ;sparks of attraction and discord. But as the death toll rises, they have to trust each other or they, too, might find themselves among the dead haunting old Savannah!


My thoughts:

I love this series. I am always excited to see a new one on NetGalley, they are so fun and entertaining. They are like an indulgent treat for me. I curl up on my couch with a cold beverage and comfy clothes, and read away the hours. Sometimes one of my cats or Penny will join me, cozied up behind the backs of my knees.

This one particularly interested me, as it is set in Savannah, one of my favorite cities to visit. The plot made full use of Savannah's piratical history, with pirate boat shows, nautical themed bars, and even a ghost pirate. Sounds like something out of Scooby Doo!

Unlike Scooby Doo though, there is a serial killer preying upon tourists in Savannah. Abigail, an FBI agent in training, is called home by her only remaining family member, her grandfather Gus. He feels something hinky is going on and wants to discuss it with Abigail. Unfortunately, Abigail arrives to find him dead.

Abigail once saw the resident ghost of her ancestor Blue, a gentleman pirate. He is said to only show himself to warn the family of trouble that is about to befall them. Abigail saw him once as a child, when a violent criminal attempted to break into her grandparent's house and bar, The Dragonslayer.  Abigail sees him again upon her return, and calls in the big guns, the Krewe of Hunters. She knows her grandfather did not merely died of a heart attack as the medics believe, and is relying on the Krewe to find out the truth.

There is the usual romance that accompanies these novels, but it was very minor compared to the central plot of the book. The mystery was very well played, and I didn't figure out who the killer was until Graham basically spells it out for the reader, and I generally do.

As always, this series was entertaining, interesting, and set in one of the best cities in the United States, in my opinion. If you are looking for a relaxing indulgence, I definitely recommend The Night is Alive.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Glad that you couldn't figure it out until it was spelled out - just like you, I'm usually able to figure out the "twist" ahead of time or the killer, so I like it when the author is able to fool me!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.