Saturday, June 23, 2012

Gone Girl - Review

Title:  Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Source: Friend

Goodreads Summary:

"'What are you thinking, Amy? The question I've asked most often during our marriage, if not out loud, if not to the person who could answer. I suppose these questions stormcloud over every marriage: What are you thinking? How are you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do?'"

Just how well can you ever know the person you love? This is the question that Nick Dunne must ask himself on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, when his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what did really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife? And what was left in that half-wrapped box left so casually on their marital bed? In this novel, marriage truly is the art of war...


My thoughts:


Wow. Wow. This book was "amazing"! This book was given to me Thursday at book club by my friend Jill, who told me I absolutely had to read it, and that she could not put it down.  I started reading it last last night, and finished it today.  I couldn't stop either, it was so good.  And that "good" is a weighted, heavy, good with lots of emphasis on the good.  It was unbelievable. I loved it, and it is possibly the best book I have read this year.  And I already have all her books on hold at the library.


This is tough to review - there are so many small, delicate, intricate plot-workings that it reminds me of a brain map.   And I don't want to give anything away.  So, I feel I have nothing to really say except this book was exceptional and I think everyone should read it.  The writing was poetry in parts, and if it hadn't been a library book, I would have been underlining passages right and left.  Such as:


“Sleep is like a cat: It only comes to you if you ignore it.” 

"Give me a man with a little fight in him, a man who calls me on my bullshit. (But who also kind of likes my bullshit.) "

" Ironic people always dissolve when confronted by earnestness, it's their kryptonite. "

I urge you all to read this, especially if like thrillers, mysteries, smart people, books about relationships, and of course if you like to be slightly scared and utterly obsessed with a book to the point you are reading it while brushing your teeth.  Read this on a bus, on a plane, on a beach or on the couch - no matter where, you will love it.

Just one olive, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.