Thursday, January 22, 2015

Two Short Reviews: Station Eleven and Blue Lily, Lily Blue

Title: Station Eleven
Author: Emily St. John Mandel
Source: Library

I really enjoyed this book! As a Michigander, I of course loved that it was set in my state, although that is not a main reason I liked the book. I thought the premise was pretty interesting~ dystopia that cares about the arts. In a world that needs all your wits just to survive, being devoted to music or literature would usually fall to the wayside. But in Mandel's book, it is a focal point, as a troop of musicians and thespians travel from town to town performing Shakespeare. I did have a few issues with the book however. I found some of the flashbacks slow, long and just unnecessary, while wanting more about what the characters endured just after the fall of society. What brought them to the present day? How did they end up where they are now? I would have liked more of their world after things went to hell, and less of the flashbacks from before. Otherwise, I really liked this book.


Title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Source: Christmas gift

This is the third book in the Raven Cycle series, which I love. My husband is also a huge fan of this series. If fans thought they were finally going to get the Adam book they have been wanting, I hate to spoil things, but this isn't it. I was pretty sad too, I am so ready for an Adam book! I guess I should have known from the name though. Lol. I think these characters are the best Steifvater has written; even the minor characters who show up in this book are amazing, causing you to really care about them right away. They just endear themselves to you. The gang also gets further in their quest for Glendower, although to me, that central plot is less interesting than the small, personal things the characters are going through. I can't wait for the next book in the series, and I can't believe I have to wait all over again to find out what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.