Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ever After - Review

Title: Ever After (The Hollows #11)
Author: Kim Harrison
Source: Nicola's Books - Book Signing with Kim Harrison!

Goodreads Summary:

The ever after, the demonic realm that parallels the human world, is shrinking. If it disappears completely, so does all magic. It's up to witch-turned-daywalking-demon Rachel Morgan to avert catastrophe and keep life from changing... for the worse.

While saving the world is important, it isn't Rachel's only motivation. There's also the small fact that she caused the ley line to rip in the first place, setting off a chain reaction of unfortunate events. That little mistake has made her life forfeit unless she can fix it. It's also made her more than a few enemies, including the most powerful demon in the ever after—a terrifying entity who eats souls and now has an insatiable appetite for her. He's already kidnapped her friend and goddaughter to lure her out, and if Rachel doesn't give herself up soon, they'll die.

But Rachel has more than a few impressive and frightening skills of her own, and she isn't going to hand over her soul and her life without one hell of a fight. She's also got a surprise: elven tycoon Trent Kalamack. With this unlikely ally beside her—a prospect both thrilling and unnerving—she's going to return to the ever after, kick some demon butt, rescue her loved ones... and prevent an apocalypse before it's too late. Or, at least that's the plan...


My Thoughts:

I always feel weird reviewing books that are in a series, when I haven't started with number 1.  It makes me feel like I am in the starting  during the middle of a story - which I guess I basically am.  So I apologize for doing this, if this is a series you are not familiar with. 

At the signing, Kim said that there only going to be 13 books in the series, and that number 13 is already written, its just in editing.  I don't want this series to end, I am not ready to say goodbye!! I understand though, I read a few series simply for the fact that I have always read them, and I have seen their deterioration, such as with the Sookie series and the Stephanie Plum series.  They should have ended a few books ago, in my opinion.  But so far, the Hollows have not gone downhill, and in fact, have only gotten better! Harrison is able to change the characters, make them grow, without ruining the books.  In doing so, the characters have not stagnated either.

I knew when I bought this book, that I would want to read it until I finished, cover to cover, without stopping, so I didn't read it immediately. I waited until Saturday, as my husband was working, and  I could devote my whole day to reading  the book. I am so glad I did, because I was right, I didn't want to put it down!  I don't want to give any spoilers, so I will keep my comments simple.  This book has shot to the top of the list of my favorites in the series, and is in the top spot, surpassing my long time favorite, A Fistful of Charms.  It was a roller coaster ride, and I didn't know how it was going to end.  I even shed some tears. A few times. I really don't want to say anymore, for fear of revealing anything, so I will stop here. But I do recommend this series to anyone who enjoys reading urban fantasy. 

If you have read this and want to talk about it more with me, feel free to email me directly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.