Thursday, July 28, 2016

Summertime Baseball

We all recognize the crack of the bat, the roar of the crowds, the smell of popcorn and hot dogs, the vivid green of the field - is there anything more quintessentially summer than baseball? I remember going down to old Tiger Stadium at the corner of Michigan Ave. and Trumbull as a kid- it was getting rough, and old but it was majestic and seemed so huge! I was sad when it was torn down- where it used to stand is now an empty lot, just grass but the bases remain. 

We recently took my son to his very first baseball game, and all three of us had a blast with my cousin, his wife, and son. We headed south to Toledo, to see the Mud Hens play. My cousin works for the Mud Hens as head of their events department, and it was awesome to spend time with them. We don't get to see them very often, so this was a real treat.  If you ever have the opportunity to go to a Mud Hens game, I recommend it. The stadium itself is so clean and sparkly and bright, and is very easily maneuverable for a family, especially one with small children. Not too big, but not too small, you get all the best of the game minus a lot of headache. 



We had great seats along the first base line, and most important in my opinion, in the shade. Wyatt loved when the crowds clapped and cheered, when the music played - he didn't really watch any of the game which was to be expected; I took him for the experience. He was one happy kid! 



We also did a little pre-gaming - parents of a toddler style. The day we went was Muddy's birthday, so there was a birthday celebration being held at Hensville, the entertainment complex across the street from the stadium. Hensville is my cousin's other baby, and he should be proud: It contains a full bar/restaurant, two rooftop seating bars that have a clear view of the game (you actually need tickets to sit there during a game!), and a concert venue. The space used to be a parking lot and an old warehouse; now it is a fully functional green space with ample places to hang out and have fun with friends and family. We ate at the Fleetwood Tap Room, which was gorgeous. For beer lovers they have over 75 craft beers, 48 on tap! The menu had many options, all reasonably priced. We had such a good time, we want to go back for an "adult night" on the town - maybe take in a game from the roof, enjoy a few cold beers from the Tap room; or if not a game, a show! Regardless, we are definitely trying to get this in the works.



We had such a great time, we can't wait to do it again!! 

And summer just isn't summer without a little baseball.

6 comments:

  1. Summer is baseball, in a lot of ways. I hardly remember Tiger Stadium, was there once as a kid I think, but we used to listen to the games and there wa just something about it. Glad you guys got to take in a Mud Hens- that Hensville sounds awesome! I clicked on the beer list (lol) and there are several I'd like to try. Best name has to go to PArty at the Moon Tower! although I see some from Frankenmuth and Saugatuck too. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new stadium is pretty cool honestly, but it lacks that certain something that the old stadium had. Maybe it is just the history that it lacks though - it is still too new to have a true personality.

      Hensville was really cool! It would be a great place to hang out for a night. Party at the Moon Tower!! I may have to look for that one and try it now. Lol. I actually drank a Frankenmuth while we were there, The Hef, and I liked it! I only like lagers or Hefenweizens (that could be spelled wrong). Billy ordered an Old Rasputin, but he generally likes to try it all. It was a cool place!

      Delete
  2. Baseball rocks! I"m glad Wyatt had a great time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! It was so cool to watch him clap along with everyone else. :)

      Delete
  3. I come from a "baseball" family-- watching as fans, not playing... though my younger brother was scouted by a minor league team when in high school, but he blew out his knee pitching and had to stop playing after school.

    Some of my earliest memories were of lying on the floor in front of the big black and white tv watching a ballgame, while my dad sat in his recliner with his beer and pretzels. When I was a teen sometimes I felt awkward talking to my dad, but we could discuss baseball and bond over this. When he died, my younger brother's boys picked out flower wreaths made up in his favorite baseball team colors to place on his casket, and my brother paid for a brick with my parents' names to be placed in front of the new stadium built around the time they passed.

    Thanks for sharing your fun day and allowing me to think back on some happy times in my younger life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memories made me a bit teary! Thank you for sharing them with me. I love how one game can mean so many different things and remind us all of different points in our life. I can remember very clearly the year the Detroit Tigers won the World Series, and watching the game with my dad. The "Eye of the Tiger" song was pretty popular around here that year!

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.