Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sometimes I Feel Like a Nut - Review

Title: Sometimes I Feel Like a Nut
Author:  Jill Kargman
Publisher:  William Morrow


Goodreads Summary:



Demonstrating Woody Allen's magical math equation, comedy = tragedy + time, a sensational collection of witty essays about life, love, hate, kids, work, school, and more from the author of The Ex-Mrs. Hedgefund and Arm Candy
Jill Kargman is a mother, wife, and writer living the life in New York City . . . a life that includes camping out in a one-bedroom apartment with some unfortunate (and furry) roommates, battling the Momzillas of Manhattan, and coming to terms with her desire for gay men. In this entertaining collection of observations, Kargman offers her unique, wickedly funny perspective as she zips around Manhattan with three kids in tow.
Kargman tackles issues big and small with sharp wit and laugh-out-loud humor: her love of the smell of gasoline, her new names for nail polishes, her adventures in New York City real estate, and her fear of mimes, clowns, and other haunting things. Whether it's surviving a family road trip or why she can't stand Cirque du So Lame, living with a mommy vagina the size of the Holland Tunnel or surviving the hell that was her first job out of college, Kargman's nutty self triumphs, thanks to a wonderfully wise outlook and sense of fun that makes the best of everything that gets thrown her way. And if that's not enough, Kargman illustrates her reflections with doodles that capture her refreshing voice.

My thoughts:  

This book comes with a disclaimer- if you are uncomfortable reading books with strong sometimes crude language and humor, this book is not for you.  And I realize that is more of a warning than a disclaimer.  Kargman is hysterically funny to me, but I know that not everyone enjoys reading certain words or about certain situations.  So I want to put that out there.

Kargman's book made me laugh out loud - I mentioned on another post that I had to put this book down until my husband got home, just so I could share the funny parts with him.  I am sure he thought I was a nut, amid my giggles, trying to read the sentence.  But he is used to it.  Her hatred of Nellie Oleson almost had me hyperventilating.  I was a huge Little House fan, and I really disliked Nellie too. And her descriptions of momzillas, I feel I have met those women, and yes, they are frightening.  

There are a few parts that are not meant to be funny, but reflective, such as the chapter where Kargman writes a letter to her apartment, which was sort of like her cocoon for a bit,  and gave her the space to grow and change; but the chapter where she talks about how vanity saves her life is my favorite.  Her never give up, I am going to get what I want attitude regarding botox led her to a startling discovery, that really did save her life.  

I loved this book, although I do not recommend it for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.