Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Top Ten Book Turn Offs
1. Animal Deaths: First, my number one, the reason I will throw the book across the room and swear to never finish it (most of the time) is gratuitous killing of animals. Bleh. There is no need to always kill the dog, cat, pet, etc. Animal abuse bothers me too. Just leave them alone please. Surprise readers for a change and let them live!
2. Terrible Cover Art Work: I guess I judge books by their covers, but if it is awful, I am reluctant to believe the book is any good.
3. Billionaires and Business Men: If I pick up a book and read the blurb on the back, if it mentions So and So is a billionaire - I usually put it back down. Not sure why really, just doesn't appeal to me.
4. Whiny Needy Helpless Female Characters: This drives me nuts. I prefer my female characters to be tough or at least independent.
5. Cheating Characters: I don't hate a book because of this, but I will hate that character.
6. Politics/Spy/Espionage: Same as number 3, just not my cup of tea.
7. Science Fiction: Again, just doesn't interest me.
8. Weird/Misspelled Names: I hate this! My friend gave me a book once where all the characters had crazy spellings of normal words and names. So irritating.
9. War time books: I just feel inundated by them. I will read them occasionally though.
10. Neat and Tidy or Rushed Endings: There is nothing worse than reading a really well written book that ends crappy, as if the writer rushed into it or did something crazy just to tie things up neatly.
What about you? Anything turn you off from a book?